It is an application from Microsoft into the BI stack.
- Performance point service was initially a component with Microsoft Office 2007 suite. It was having excellent monitoring ,analytics and planning capabilities.
- Microsoft acquired proclarity in 2006
- Office PPS support has been discontinued by April 2009
- Incorporated few ProClarity scorecard and analytics functionalities to PPS
- Released PPS 2010 as a service of Sharepoint 2010
- Relased PPS 2013 along with Sharepoint 2013
Performance point service is a tool for building dashboard, scorecards ,key process indicators and analytical reports. Microsoft says “PerformancePoint Dashboard Designer is a tool that you can use to create powerful, dynamic dashboards that are hosted in Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010”
This requires Sharepoint licence and reports can be created from data base tables, SSAS cubes etc. And it can be published in LAN, or public, will works as a sharepoint site and can do all operations like subscription, sharing , authentication etc.